The Royce Hotel
- SJB Interiors
When Melbourne’s first prestige car showroom opened in 1928, it reflected the car itself – sophisticated and sound, opulent and glamorous. Behind the design was Harry Norris, one of the leading commercial architects of the time, who embraced the latest overseas trends with absolute conviction and managed to introduce a sense of theatre into all his buildings.
The Royce then re-opened as a boutique hotel and for a number of years after, SJB was commissioned to refresh various interior spaces. With this latest refurbishment, the design intent is to create a new accommodation that respects the building’s historic art deco fabric.
Transformed from a car showroom to government offices and then falling into decline, The Royce lost many of it’s original features. Now, with it’s heritage listing, the hotel has been refreshed with a subtle nod to deco; the design kept deliberately light.
SJB incorporate original features such as cornices, panelling and leadlight windows in the design and these features are complimented by new bespoke lighting, carpets and rugs with a contemporary twist and a luxe palette.
Each element of the hotel’s design is intentional and has been carefully detailed.
Chrome detailing on the marble vanity units is subtly redolent of Le Corbusier’s Grand Confort armchair, a classic that was designed in 1928, the same year that the prestige car showroom on St Kilda Road opened its doors.
Marble wall tiles take their shell shape from a motif found elsewhere in the building.