- Design + Industry
SmartSnugg is an integrated sleep monitoring ecosystem for infants and toddlers. The SmartBlanket, SmartPebble’s, SmartBridge and smartphone App work together to help children and parents enjoy a safe, comfortable and stress-free sleep-time. Receive tailored recommendations to improve sleep quality + monitor temperature, movement, and position in real-time via the SmartSnugg App.
The SmartSnugg sleep ecosystem provides parents with an integrated solution to monitor (temperature, movement + position) their child’s sleep-time. The SmartSleeper has been designed for safety and comfort, while SmartPebble works to provide continuous contactless monitoring. SmartPebble/s are securely placed in the SmartSleeper’s internal child-safe pockets. Housing sensors in a SmartPebble (versus stitching + wiring into each SmartSleeper) reduced costs, allows flexibility in how many SmartPebble/s are purchased + allowed a cost-effective waterproofing solution. Using the SmartSnugg App, parents can monitor a child’s current + regular sleep status and receive individualised suggestions to improving the safety and quality of their child’s sleep.
Parents want their children to be safe and comfortable in their sleep, but lack a reliable way to monitor and improve sleep quality. SIDS remains a major stress factor for parents of young children, despite risks, infant sleeping bags are frequently used to adjust a child’s sleeping temperature, simply because there are no alternatives. SmartSnugg provides parents/carers with real-time data (temperature, movement and position), alongside individually tailored suggestions for improving sleep comfort and safety. The solution is affordable, quality, exceeds child safety standards and work seamlessly with family life.
SmartSnugg is a Victorian Consumer Electronics Start-up offering an affordable, high quality, safe and simple to use Sleep Monitoring System for Infants and Toddlers. The Sleep Monitoring Ecosystem has been developed by Victorian entrepreneurs Matthew Hearsch and Simon French. SmartSnugg has seen the team engage, commercialisation officers at Deakin University (Geelong), Industrial Design + Engineering Consultancies (Design + Industry), Electronics Engineers + manufacturers (Procept), App & Web Developers (Codeacious), as well as product testers, soft goods + packaging manufacturers, legal + patent professionals, product certification specialists, research partners, investors + accelerators to deliver the Good Design Gold Award winning Sleep monitoring system.
• SmartSnugg intuitively helps parents + children to enjoy a safe, comfortable stress-free sleep.
• SmartSnugg reveals currently unavailable data + actionable insights into a child’s sleep.
• SmartSnugg ecosystem enables instant monitoring, insights + recommendations that help to reduce the risks of SIDS + improve sleep quality. The App enables quick access to information + instant push alerts if a dangerous sleeping position or temperature is detected.
• Parents can sleep w/ enhanced peace of mind + confidence, based on accurate personalised data.
• Cost-Effective production + Commercially Competitive: Only company that can offer an integrated sleep clothing + monitoring solution, + supply elements individually.
• SmartSleeper – a curved, side zipping system allows us the SmartPebble to be positioned in the centre of the Sleeper, essential for accurate positional data. SmartSleeper’s patented internal pocket with a ‘tortured path’, ensures SmartPebble stays securely in place + inaccessible to children.
• SmartPebble runs on replaceable batteries, reducing complexity (ie. remember to recharge + charger purchase). The battery and its machine-washable design means the SmartPebble can be left in the sleeper up to 9 months. Software minimises energy use without compromising data quality – sensors powered for a millisecond each second, sending to SmartBridge and then to App.
• SmartBridge – Bridges the connection to WiFi, sending data from the SmartPebble to the SmartSnugg server. Transferred via low powered Bluetooth. Use the App to access live monitoring data in real-time from anywhere in the world. Features an adjustable nightlight + room temperature sensor. Data from the temperature sensor is used as a crucial reference point in the monitoring system.
• SmartSnugg App – Monitor SmartSleeper and room temperatures in real-time. Differential between the two generally stabilises after 40 mins. Beyond that, any significant increase in the differential has likely been caused by an increase in body temperature. This unexpected finding, discovered during testing, has been incorporated into a range of alerts that parents can choose from.