Retub: Premium Reusable Takeaway Containers with a Built-in Container Exchange
retub is the premium glass reusable takeaway food container that provides thermal protection for hot food and has a built-in container exchange program called Reswap.
Reducing waste in style while addressing hygiene with a simple and stylish solution: retubs really are the better way to takeaway.
1. are reusable
2. protect fingers from hot food with their outer base which also:
a. protects the inner glass container from gentle bumps and knocks
b. creates a double-wall to help with thermal retention
3. have inner measurement lines at commonly used volumes for takeaway food
4. ensure food only touches glass and silicone
5. inner containers can be easily removed from the base-unclean inners can be swapped for clean ones at Reswap-participating food-vendors.
6. are stylish
7. detachable vents double as emergency food-scoops, reducing the need for single-use cutlery
8. are dishwasher and microwave safe
Each retub has the potential to divert up to 10kg of single-use containers, bags and cutlery per year from waste, taking pressure off landfill facilities that are close to capacity and/or defunct or non-existent recycling facilities.
retubs cane purchased by consumers from participating food-vendors and Reswap is made available to those vendors at subsidised prices. Reswap enables food-vendors to offer a hygienic and sustainable option that\’s inexpensive / improves their bottom line and is free to the customer, which helps establish greater loyalty.
retub’s single minded focus has been on form following function without superfluous embellishment. Its simplicity belies its innovative and intuitive functionality which both incorporates and expands on the functions of single-use takeaway- containers. Reswap is intuitive, simple and convenient, by design.
retub’s measurement lines provide a standardised volume in line with current takeaway containers: retub owners and their cafes know the quantity of food they purchase. It is simply good design based on usability and ease of portability.
retub’s bases are rigid, and provide thermal-protection so they can be held or can sit on your lap when food is hot.
If they are to be the genuine alternative, the experience of using sustainable-tubs must be as good as or better than single-use equivalents.
Our challenge was to design a reusable container that:
1. reduced waste and recycling materials
2. provided thermal protection for fingers when food is hot
3. provided confidence that the correct volume of food was being purchased
4. responded to concerns regarding eating from plastic
5. offered food-vendors a way to maintain control over the cleanliness of the takeaway vessel
6. made consumers feel proud to be seen to participate in the sustainability movement
7. was microwavable
retubs, with their built-in Reswap container exchange program, are a unique, world-first product. While primarily, retubs replace single-use food containers, the design encourages consumers to also avoid using single-use bags and cutlery (by offering thermal protection for fingers and having a detachable vent that can double as an emergency food scoop) thereby potentially reducing 3 waste sources.
retubs are a space saving option for food-vendors and for households. They are also stackable.
retubs embrace the legal reality that food-vendors must use clean containers and, through Reswap, provides a simple, convenient and hygienic solution.
Their stylish aesthetic means retubs are desirable to a wide community of consumers and actually get used.