- Cult Design
- Adam Cornish
In a way the Rev stool project was created in reverse. Rather than designing the project then seeking a manufacturer, we allowed the capabilities of the local manufacturer to inspire the design toward an original direction. Melbourne has world-class metal spinning facilities, most often used to create industrial items. The “Rev” Stool was inspired by the very act of spinning. When considering the function of a bar stool we observed that the user often swivels, turns, leans and perches thus we created a simple side profile that when revolved can accommodate a countless variety of seating positions from all angles.
The collaboration between designer and local industry was vital to the final design direction. Each step of the design process was informed by the technical capabilities and strengths of local manufacturers. This collaborative process created a design which is innovative and enables us to offer an alternative to importing international products.
The Rev Stool complements Cult\’s high calibre international design collection in a way only an Australian product can. It is humble, high quality and its embrace of honest craftsmanship pushes the boundaries of this manufacturing method. Spinning the seat pan onto the top of the stool means there are no fasteners required to assemble the stool.
Local powder coating gives clients and interior designers the option to customise their own colours within reasonable lead times for product delivery. This would otherwise not be possible with a lot of European furniture and increases the commercial viability of the Rev Stool.
Keeping manufacturing local is keeping manufacturing environmentally responsible by making sure the Rev Stool components do not travel far between processes. Keeping all suppliers on the east side of Melbourne, we were able to reap the benefits of local trades with pre-existing relationships and also reduced shipping costs.
This product is competitive aesthetically & economically.
• Manufacturers all within a 10km radius of each other.
• Using local manufacturers/ dispatch services eliminates over 1000 km of unnecessary transport, dramatically reducing carbon footprint.
• Unique design approach transforms an otherwise industrial process enabling new commercial opportunities for this manufacturing sector.
• Approach to design helps to bolster existing manufacturing within the state of Victoria.
• Unique spun footrest and body allow for multiple seating positions, improving ergonomics.
• Spun metal design is highly durable and 100% recyclable.